How-To: Make Edibles with Already Vaped Weed
Today I’m going to teach you an easy way to bring new life to your already vaped weed scraps. Yes, you can recycle your weed! Previously something you would have disposed, can give you a whole new high. Pretty much the closest thing to ganja wizardry. When you’re on a budget, getting two highs out of one bud is life-saving.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Half-Ounce of ‘Already Been Vaped’ Weed
- 1/2 cup of Butter/ Oil of your preference (discussed below)
- Medium-sized saucepan
- Spatula / Mixing Utensil
- One medium-sized plasticcontainer
If you’re curious about the science behind this idea of recycling your weed, the THC and all the other cannabinoids that make up your bud vaporize at different temperatures. Vaporizing doesn’t combust the cannabis, it essentially bakes it at a high temperature, leaving a lot of THC on the buds. You do have to make sure that when you’re vaporizing, you’re not at so high of a temperature that you’re left with no THC. If your leftover weed is turning black, your temperature is too high. It should be a light to dark brown.
Vaping is not only the healthiest way to consume our precious cannabinoids, it is also the most economical. With vaporizing, a little bit goes a very long way. You can also experiment with combining other healing herbs in your vaporizer to enhance your stash and make it last even longer. Keep an airtight glass jar next to your vaporizer and use it as your “ashtray” for all the vaporized herb.
The best part of cooking with weed that has already been vaped is that you get to skip the long process of activating your canna-butter. Since your flower has already been heated by its first round of vaporization, all of the cannabinoids are activated and ready to directly infuse. The recommendation is to still give it some heat and infuse your scraps in butter or oil, but in a pinch you could theoretically throw the already been vaped weed directly into your brownie mix. The only caveat to this method is that the taste might not be as good.
Okay, now let’s talk about the fun part — the options you have for infusion:
Canna-butter – Butter has been a long-time go-to for cannabis consumers because of its high fat content, it’s easy to infuse, and it makes everything taste freakin’ amazing. THC, CBD and all the other good-for-you things that are packed in our favorite flower attach to fat molecules, so our goal is to get butter with the highest fat content. To find the fat content just look at the saturated and unsaturated fat on the back of the package. I recommend to choose an unsalted butter with at least 7g of saturated fat.
Canna-Oil – Already-vaped weed can be infused into any kind of cooking oil, including olive, canola and my personal favorite, coconut. I haven’t yet tried avocado oil, but the more fat the better! Coconut has the highest saturated fat content with 12 grams of saturated fat, but olive oil and avocado are in the lead in the monounsaturated fats with 10 grams. Edible cocoa butter is also a great option for infusion as it has 8 grams of saturated fat and has arguably the best taste.
Both options for infusion are very versatile, and can be subbed into any recipe that calls for butter or oil. Don’t be afraid to think outside the “weed brownie box!” You can go the savory route with a stoned stir-fry, canna-buttered cornbread, or medicated mashed potatoes. The possibilities are endless.
WHAT YOU DO:
- Weigh out a half-ounce of your Already Been Vaped weed (you can add less or more to adjust the strength of the final product)
- Create a tea bag out of cheesecloth holding all your ABV weed (this eliminates the need for straining). Place your THC teabag into an empty saucepan.
- Measure a 1/2 cup of butter or oil of your preference and add it to the saucepan with the ABV weed. If you’re using butter or coconut oil, you may want to melt it in the microwave first.
- Stir the butter/oil and the ABV weed together on low heat until the mixture begins to simmer.
- Simmer the mixture for a minimum of 20 minutes, stirring frequently. This ensures that your butter/oil is being infused to its maximum potential. If you have time to kill, feel free to leave your pan on low heat for a couple of hours.
- Once you feel satisfied with your infusion, remove from the stove.
- Squeeze all of the butter/oil out of the teabag filled with your ABV weed and discard. If you decided to mix your ABV in directly with your butter/oil, it’s now time to separate. Using cheesecloth, strain the butter/oil into a plastic container.This is easiest as a two person job, one holding the cheesecloth and one pouring out the pan. Squeeze all the remaining butter/oil out of the cheesecloth and into your bowl, and throw it away.
- Your infusion is now ready to use!
Sub your fresh canna butter or oil into any recipe, sweet or savory, and get creative. You don’t have to use it all at once either as it will keep in your fridge for a couple of weeks. It makes a great topping for toast in the morning before a stressful day.
My favorite flavor profile to enhance the herbal flavor of the butter/oil is lemon, but it’s always exciting to experiment and find your own preference. Share your favorite recipes in the comments below. I always love trying new medicated masterpieces!
Consume your ganja treats responsibly now, my friends, because while whatever you make will taste absolutely delicious, you can’t forget that they will be very potent. If you lost count on how many cookies you’ve eaten and need to soften your high, check out our article How-To: Reduce Your High.
How-To: Make Edibles with Already Vaped Weed Today I’m going to teach you an easy way to bring new life to your already vaped weed scraps. Yes, you can recycle your weed! Previously something you
Cooking and baking with vaped weed
Most stoners know how to conserve weed when times get hard. The most broke among us can relate to gathering small roaches together or scraping the bowl of our bongs in a desperate attempt for a toke. What most don’t realize is that vaped weed leaves behind a similar resin that you would find in any used bong or pipe only it’s much cleaner and purer while also being trapped inside semi-burnt plant matter remains. While that may come as a shock to those, who pride themselves in the efficiency of their vapes to extract as much of the THC as possible it is true that even the very best vapes will leave behind a bit of wasted THC.
What is vaped weed?
Vaped weed is vaporizer leftovers. It is the sticky, grainy brownish substance that is left behind after you have run some herb through your vaporizer. Generally, vaped weed will still contain anywhere from 20%-30% of the THC that was in the bud before it was vaporized.
Can you smoke vaped weed?
The answer to this will depend on who you ask. Some cannabis users would never dream of smoking it which is why they toss it in the trash, but that is only because they aren’t aware of exactly how much they are wasting. Vaped weed will not be as potent as the original product but will burn and can be smoked to utilize the remaining THC. It can be rolled into a joint or smoked in a bowl and will be effective with the only drawback being the taste. Since the green has already been heated the terpenes will have been damaged, so the flavor isn’t exactly sought after, but smoking vaped weed will do the trick in a pinch.
Cooking or baking with vaped weed
One of the biggest perks to using vaped weed for edibles is that the THC is already fully activated. Since the bud had already undergone decarboxylation when it was heated by the vaporizer, there is no additional cooking required, unlike recipes that utilize fresh cannabis. The filtering process needed to make the vaped weed into a cannabutter or vape coconut oil helps to weaken the burnt taste, and the results are usually a potent blend that can be added to any of your favorite recipes.
How to make vape coconut oil
Vape coconut oil is just an infused oil and is made the same way you would any cannabis infused oil.
- 3-7 grams of vaped weed
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- 1 medium-sized pot
- 1 mixing tool
- 1 mason jar
- 1 elastic
- Add both the vaped weed and coconut oil to a medium sized pot and turn the burner to low heat.
- Simmer while occasionally stirring for 2 hours.
- Remove from heat and allow ten minutes to cool.
- Place one layer of cheesecloth over a mason jar and use an elastic to keep it in place.
- Slowly pour the mixture through the cheesecloth to filter out any plant material.
- Once the oil has all strained give the cheesecloth a squeeze over the jar to collect the remaining liquid it has absorbed before you throw it away.
- Seal the mason jar and store your vape coconut oil in a dark, cool place until you are ready to use it.
Double chocolate vaped weed brownies recipe
You won’t even know these vaped weed brownies were made with anything but the best. They are potent and delicious. Chocolate is one of the most effective flavors at hiding the distinctive marijuana flavor that often comes with edibles making it one of the most common flavors of edibles on the market today.
- 1 cup of white flour
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee
- ½ cup of cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup of vape coconut oil
- 1 cup of white granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 mixing tool
- 1 brownie baking pan
- 1 spatula
- parchment paper
- microwave-safe bowl
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Add all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine them.
- Add your vape coconut oil and chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 30 seconds at a time for 1-2 minutes until they are completely melted.
- While the chocolate is hot add the white granulated sugar and eggs to the bowl and mix well.
- Now it’s time to combine the dry ingredients with the wet ones. Slowly pour the liquid into the powder mixing as you go until it is all combined.
- Use parchment paper to line a brownie pan.
- Pour brownie batter into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Once cooked allow your freshly baked vaped weed brownies at least 30 minutes to cool before cutting and serving. This recipe should make 6-8 brownies.
What many people don’t realize is that vaped weed leaves behind a similar resin that you would find in any used bong or pipe. Great material for cooking!